Registration and Sample Submission
Join the Home Biome Project in 3 Steps
1) Complete the Online Registration
2) Collect a Sample
Collecting a sample is easy!
- First, clearly label your sample bag with your address and the date the bag was filled and sealed. Note: this is sometimes easier to do BEFORE you fill your bag with dust.
- Put the entire contents of your vacuum cleaner bag, or cylinder (or several cylinders worth if needed), into your re-sealable bag. Carefully release excess air and seal it up. You may prefer to fill your sample bag in a well-ventilated area, and use a disposable mask, if you are concerned about inhaling the dust.
- We recommend that you place this bag into another bag, as this helps protect the label and protects against any leaks.
A useful video explaining the process is available here:
3) Submit Your Sample via Post
All that is left is for you to send us your sample! Please mail your sample to one of the locations detailed below. Once we receive your sample, we will analyse it and email you back within 3-6 months with a bespoke report of the metals/trace elements within your dust sample.
If in Portugal:
Projeto Home Biome
A/C Professora Paula Marinho
Universidade do Minho
Escola de Ciências,
Departamento de Ciências da Terra,
Campus de Gualtar,
4710 - 057 Braga,
If in Greece:
Έργο Home Biome
Ε.Υ. Καθηγ. Αριάδνη Αργυράκη
Τμήμα Γεωλογίας και
Εθνικό και Καποδιστριακό
If in UK (or other parts of Europe):
Home Biome project
C/O Professor Jane Entwistle
Department of Geography & Environmental Sciences,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
THANK YOU from the Home Biome team
Home Biome is part of the Map My Environment initiative. Data from the Home Biome project can be viewed directly on our Global Map.
This study is approved by the Northumbria University Departmental Ethics Committee; study number 19135