Map My Environment is a collaboration between multiple academics to consolidate several data-gathering projects. This compiled list of academic publications and presentations is the result of the phenomenal level of academic and community collaboration thus far!
Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
360 Dust Analysis
- Entwistle, J., Filippelli, G., Taylor, M., Wong, M., 2018. Presentation at DUST 2018. 3rd International Conference on Atmospheric Dust.
- Taylor, M., Ball, A., Entwistle, J., Filippelli, G., Gillings, M., Handley, H., Juhasz, A., Knibbs, L., Strezov, V., Wong, M., 2017. Global citizen-lead insights into the composition and risks of household dust. 29th Annual Conference of the International Society of Environmental Epidemiology
Reports and News Articles
- Dye, Josh. "Sydney's inner west has highest levels of indoor lead contamination: study". The Sydney Morning Herald, https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sydney-s-inner-west-has-highest-levels-of-indoor-lead-contamination-study-20191023-p533lf.html#comments. Accessed 28 October, 2019.
- Pearl, Lizzie. "Sydney's most 'toxic' suburbs revealed". 9News, https://www.9news.com.au/national/lead-poisoning-research-shows-sydney-worst-suburbs-pollution/ce3c3cf8-8710-4144-9c97-074cb35afc01. Accessed 28 October, 2019.
- DustSafe 2018 Annual Report. Macquarie University
- DustSafe Newsletter. Macquarie University
- Doyi, I., Isley, C., Soltani, N., Taylor, M., 2019. Human exposure and risk assessment with trace element concentrations in indoor dust from Australian homes. Environmental International, 133(A), 105125
- Filippelli, G. and Taylor, M., 2018. Addressing pollution-related global environmental health burdens. GeoHealth, 2, 2-5.
- Filippelli, G., Adamic, J., Nichols, D., Shukle, J., Frix, E., 2018. Mapping the urban lead exposome: A detailed analysis of soil metal concentrations at the household scale using citizen science. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15(7), 1531.
- Laidlaw, M., Alankarage, D., Reichman, S., Taylor, M.P. 2018. Assessment of soil metal concentrations in residential and community vegetable gardens in Melbourne, Australia. Chemosphere, 199, 303-311.
- Laidlaw, M., Gordon, C., Taylor, M., Ball, A., 2018. Estimates of potential childhood lead exposure from contaminated soil using the USEPA IEUBK model in Melbourne, Australia. Environ Geochem Health, 40(6), 2785-2793.
- Kristensen, L., Taylor, M., Flegal, A., 2017. An odyssey of environmental pollution: The rise, fall and remobilisation of industrial lead in Australia. Applied Geochemistry, 83, 3-13.
- Rouillon, M., Harvey, P.J, Kristensen, L.J., George, S.G., Taylor, M.P. Elevated lead levels in Sydney backyards: here's what you can do. The Conversation. January 17th, 2017.
- Rouillon, M., Harvey, P.J, Kristensen, L.J., George, S.G., Taylor, M.P. 2017. VegeSafe: A community science program measuring soil-metal contamination, evaluating risk and providing advice for safe gardening. Environmental Pollution, 222, 557-566.
- Harvey, P., Rouillon, M., Dong, C., Ettler, V., Handley, H.K., Taylor, M.P., Tyson, E., Tennant, P., Telfer, V.S., Trinh, R. 2017. Geochemical sources, forms and phases of soil contamination in an industrial city. Science of the Total Environment 584-585, 505-514.
- Harvey, P., Taylor, M., Kristensen, S., Grant-Vest, S., Rouillon, M., Wu, L., Handley, H., 2015. Evaluation and assessment of the efficacy of an abatement strategy in a former lead smelter community, Boolaroo, Australia. Environ Geochem Health., 38(4), 941-954.
- Green, D., Chakraborty, J., Taylor, M.P. 2014. Australia’s dirty secret: who’s breathing toxic air? The Conversation. 16th April 2014.
- Gore, D.B., Taylor, M.P., Pritchard, R.P., Fryirs, K.A. 2014. On-site teaching with XRF and XRD: training the next generation of industry and research professionals. Powder Diffraction.
- Laidlaw, M.A.S., Zahran, S., Pingatore, N., Clague, J., Devlin, G., Taylor, M.P. 2014. Identifying and fingerprinting temporal lead sources in domestic homes. Environmental Pollution, 184, 238–246.
- Taylor, M.P., Winder, C., Lanphear, B.P. 2014. Australia’s leading public health body delays action on the revision of the public health goal for blood lead exposures. Environment International, 70, 113–117.
- Rouillon, M., Gore, D.B., Taylor, M.P. 2013. The nature and distribution of Cu, Zn, Hg, and Pb in urban soils of a regional city: Lithgow, Australia. Applied Geochemistry, 36, 83–91.
- Taylor, M.P., Lanphear, B.P., Gore, D.B., Forbes, M., Zahran, S. 2013. Child lead exposure linked to crime in adulthood. The Conversation. April 10th, 2013.
- Taylor, M.P., Camenzuli, D., Kristensen, L.J., Forbes, M., Zahran, S. 2013. Environmental lead exposure risks associated with children’s outdoor playgrounds. Environmental Pollution, 178, 447-454.
- Zahran, S., Laidlaw, M.A.S., McElmurry, S.P., Filippelli, G.M., Taylor, M.P. 2013. Linking source and effect: re-suspended soil lead, air lead and children’s blood lead levels in Detroit, Michigan. Environmental Science and Technology, 47(6), 2839–2845.
- Zahran, S., Mielke, H.W., McElmurry, S.P., Filippelli, G.M., Laidlaw, M.A.S., Taylor, M.P. 2013. Determining the relative importance of soil sample locations to predict risk of child lead exposure. Environment International, 60, 7–14.
- Taylor, M.P., Winder, C., Lanphear, B.P. 2012. Eliminating Childhood Lead Toxicity in Australia: A call to lower the intervention level. Medical Journal of Australia, 197 (9), 493.
- Laidlaw, M.A.S., Zahran, S., Mielke, H., Taylor, M.P., Filippelli, G. 2012. Re-suspension of lead contaminated urban soil as a dominant source of atmospheric lead in Birmingham, Chicago, Detroit and Pittsburgh, USA. Atmospheric Environment, 49, 302-310.
- Laidlaw, M.A.S. and Taylor M.P. 2011. Potential for Childhood Lead Poisoning in the Inner Cities of Australia Due to Exposure to Lead in Soil Dust. Environmental Pollution, 159(1), 1-9.
The following publications are also related to public health and contaminant exposure; however, these publications are not directly related to any of the above-listed projects.
- Entwhistle, J., Amaibi, P., Dean, J., Deary, M., Medock, D., Morton, J., Rodushkin, I., Bramwell, L., 2019. An apple a day? Assessing gardener's lead exposure in urban agriculture sites to improve the derivation of soil assessment criteria. Environmental International, 122, 130-141.
- Mielke, H., Gonzales, C., Powell, E., Laidlaw, M., Berry, K., Mielke Jr, P., Egendorf, S., 2019. The concurrent decline of soil lead and children's blood lead in New Orleans. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 116 (44), 22058-22064.
- Beidinger-Burnett, H., Ahern, L., Ngai, M., Filippelli, G., Sisk, M., 2018. Inconsistent screening for lead endangers vulnerable children: policy lessons from South Bend and Saint Joseph County, Indiana, USA. Journal of Public Health Policy, 40(1), 103-113.
- Laidlaw, M., Filippelli, G., Mielke, H., Gulson, B., Ball, A., 2017. Lead exposure at firing ranges- a review. Environmental Health, 16 (1):34.
- Laidlaw, M., Filippelli, G., Sadler, R., Gonzales, C., Ball, A., Mielke, H., 2016. Children's blood lead seasonality in Flint, Michigan (USA), and soils-sourced lead hazard risks. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13, 358.
- Leech, T., Adams, E., Weathers, T., Staten, L., Filippelli, G., 2016. Inequitable chronic lead exposure: A dual legacy of social and environmental injustice. Family and Community Health, 39(3), 151-159.
- Filippelli, G., Risch, M., Laidlaw, M., Nichols, D., Crewe, J., 2015. Geochemical legacies and the future health of cities: A tale of two neurotoxins in urban soils. Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene, 3, 59.
- Morrison, D., Lin, Q., Wiehe, S., Liu, G., Roseman, M., Fuller, T., Wang, J., Filippelli, G., 2012. Spatial relationships between lead sources and children's blood lead levels in the urban center of Indianapolis (USA). Envrionmental Geochemistry and Health, 35 (2), 171-183.
- Filippelli, G., Laidlaw, M., Latimer, J., Raftis, R., 2005. Urban lead poisoning and medical geology: An unfinished story. GSA Today, 15(1), 4-11.